Bite-sized Backstory 18: Majestic Battles and Waves (Destiny)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 06:43 (2658 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Pyromancy, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 07:41

After defeating the Taishibethi, Oryx returns to his throne world and makes preparations to have his first direct meeting with the Deep. He creates a special alter for the Deep and prepares an unborn ogre for it to possess. We’ve seen unborn ogres several times in Destiny. You might know them better as Tomb Husks.

Many, many times so far when reading your interpretations of the backstory I have bitten my tongue off, so to speak, in an attempt to not be 'that guy' that actively badgers others at every turn to provide source documentation for their information, paraphrases, or summations. (as has happened before 'round these parts)

Please, can you help with your assertion above ^?

Well, I am that guy. So I welcome any and all questions. Especially ones about the source of things. And I always try to have an answer or basis ready to go before hand. In fact, it makes me sad to hear that you have not engaged in the past. :(

In this case, you are right. I was basing my comment on the events of the mission "The Summoner's Circle." In it you help birth an Ogre before it is ready by way of a Tomb Husk. Turns out I had misremembered the dialog from the mission. I was thinking we'd deposited what was essentially a fetal Ogre into the pool, but that was wrong. Two relevant quotes from Eris tell us:

"In the depths of the Dreadnaught, a coven of Acolytes gestate an abomination – a warspawn of the Hive, pulsing and growing in a pool of Taken power."

"The souls (of nearby Hive champions you just killed) nestle within the husk. Find its gestation pit and summon forth the beast. Do not allow its worm to complete the cycle. End it now."

So, it seems that the tomb husk was not the Ogre but was the thing needed to birth the Ogre early. This fits with Toland talking about tomb husks having the energy needed to break Hive rune locks. I wondered about the conflict between Toland and what I thought I remembered from the Summoner's Circle but forgot to investigate.

Thanks very much for the clarity
Yeah, I replayed The Summoner's Circle after you mentioned the level name. The Tomb Husk appears that it can be used as a receptacle for souls and energies.

I do remember places in the game where the tomb husks are used to unlock a locked door. It doesn't make complete sense WHY the Tomb Husks unlock Hive rune locks? Is it "biometric" in nature, utilizing the souls contained within? Does the lock just require a lot of energy to unlock? Does the energy stored in the Tomb Husk not even interact with the lock and just brute force it? Is it a sacrifice thing (and the encased souls are spent to carry out the task)?
Is the Tomb Husk a vehicle for transporting the Hive rune language from "The Taken realm/throne worlds", and the combination of runes unlocks the locked door? "Through these spaces passed speech and food"

... I'd much rather have people be engaged and be proven wrong than people stay silent. :)

I don't post all too often, much more than I used to.
Lurkers got to lurk

I love what you have been doing so far and I simply don't want to be the only or one of the only people commenting on the Bite-sized Backstories. Sometimes my questions or concerns have been easy source requests, fairly petty, or simply 'semantical'. I love to see what others have to say. I miss terribly all the friendly great folks that used to post around *BO and have since gone quiet. Looking back on post histories pops up friendly old names all the time. :(
(I also miss so terribly badly the casual online interaction with Bungie employees, in the past :( )

The knowledge of the group is worth so much more than any single piece I can try and muster all by myself. I don't claim to know anything at all. This foray into the Books of Sorrow still remains as my only significant steps into the Grimoire thus far.

Do you think the rock in the map Cathedral of Dusk could be one of Oryx's tablets? The 'table stone' of an altar? Gravemarker/tombstone?
[image]

It's possible. I don't think there's anything to say it isn't. I do wonder if he'd have just left it laying around. Presumably, Oryx was still alive in his alternate dimension for part of the time we were holding Crucible matches so it does seem a bit unlikely he didn't have his tablets with him. But given that the Dreadnaught is kinda his throne world in and of itself... maybe sitting right there in its special spot is considered being with him?

The symbol at the top of the stone appears in the background of the Grimoire Cards, behind the Calcified Fragments of cards XX: Hive - XXIX: Carved in Ruin.

[image]

This symbol is also found around the Dreadnaught walls and ceilings on old tattered banners and such.
Does this symbol represent Oryx? The Dreadnaught? The Hive ("circle of life"/pyramid scheme)? (The Traveller? -not likely)
Could the banners be leftover decorations from "The Coronation of Oryx"?
Could it be some symbol that commemorates Eversion Day?
Is it the image of a Syzygy with a light source being eclipsed?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread