Misunderstanding on FFXV Sales Break-even Point (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 01:54 (2632 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's a very cynical way to look at it, but accurate from a certain perspective I suppose.

The game is definitely no Deus Ex. The combat is adequate and laughably easy on all but the hardest difficulty. The quests are basically all standard RPG fair of running around the world doing the bidding of whoever you took the quest from. But, as I said, the attention to detail is astounding. The world is just incredibly well designed and makes real world sense in a way that most other games don't. And the writing really stands out--even though the quests are pretty standard monster skating or treasure hunting, there's nearly always a twist on the formula, and there are deeper connections between seemingly random quests that all make sense as you play.

I really don't think you'd enjoy it, but I love it. It really depends on what you want in a game. TW3 goes deep with story and lore and just begs to be explored. It's a game that I never fast travel in, a game I just love to inhabit. It's not "fun" in the traditional sense. The moment to moment gameplay isn't noteworthy, there aren't any really deep mechanics for the most part. I spend 75% of my game time walking from place to place, enjoying looking at the world design, listening to NPC conversations, just feeling like I'm on that world. Describing why I like it so much is hard for me. Mostly it really just does come down to that attention to detail--it's a case where the overall product is so much more than the sum of its parts. Everything in the game just fits together and builds such an incredible experience for the players that are looking for that deep dive into a world. It's just so well realized and complete in a way that most modern open world RPGs aren't.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread