Any chance it's a HD fault? (Off-Topic)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:03 (2604 days ago) @ Pyromancy

That actually is a possibility, the computer's almost 10 years old...hopefully that would be the actual case, and not a virus that I can't stop!

I have a new drive regardless, but that does make me breathe a little easier.

Yeah, it sounds like a HDD issue. Do you still have the old drive, or did it go to the big scrap pile in the sky? If you still have it you could experiment with it. Run it with a repair disk, try to restore registry files, try to fix the Master Boot Record, etc.

Based on everything you've shared it sounds like it was very likely NOT a virus.

If you see this return and happen again on the new drive, try replacing the SATA cable. If it is a cheaply made cable and has a right angle connector, those tend to begin to fail right at the base of the connector.

This. I've heard stories of bad SATA cables causing 1962 errors. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being some intermittent failure of a piece of hardware. SATA cable, HDD, or even a bad/failing solder job on a connector.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread