Any chance it's a HD fault? (Off-Topic)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 17:16 (2630 days ago) @ Morpheus

TBH, after reading your post above Zack's, I think his theory is the most likely scenario. A "No OS found" message typically comes from the motherboard itself, and indicates that it couldn't find a hard disk with a bootable partition. If you press Ctrl+Alt+Del and it starts up OK without you doing anything else, then that would indicate the hard drive failed to become available on the first attempt, but succeeded on the second. That screams "failing drive" to me.

There is some slim chance of it being the motherboard or power supply as well, but the hard drive is the most likely culprit.

All the stuff in my initial replay is still true, and, I think, makes for highly entertaining reading! :P

By the way, if your PC really is 10 years old, you might want to stop paying people to work on it. You can get PCs for $200-$500 right now that would blow anything from 10 years ago (even a high-end machine) out of the water, and I'm betting your expenses from this incident are already into that range.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread