Wild speculation (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 20:26 (2626 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The community in general is quick to overreact to this kind of thing, but that's what happens when the trust between community and developer isn't as strong as it maybe could be. Bungie's communication has been hit and miss, as has their balancing efforts with the game itself. I think that is the bigger issue. It takes them months to release balance tweaks (not a criticism, just a fact), so Destiny players get a bit steamed when an update finally does come out, only to introduce new problems, sometimes through changes that weren't even intentional.

Moving forward, they very much need to try to start doing smaller fixes more frequently. It's much easier to get things right when you make small changes to get to where you need to go progressively, than to make large ones and overshoot, only to overshoot on the way back staring the pendulum going.

Hopefully their tool set for Des2ny will make this a possibility.

In my brain, that makes the most sense... but I know virtually nothing about Bungie's internal development process, or why updates are spaced out as they are.

I can't help but think of Respawn's approach to balance updates: say as little as possible.

Bungie gives us all this information, some of which ends up being contradictory and causes all this confusion and speculation, none of which is based on the actual gameplay experience of playing Destiny post-patch. Respawn would have said "we tweaked shotguns" and released the patch the next day. Nobody would be freaking out about miscommunications, and everyone would just be playing the game and getting a feel for it with a relatively open mind.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread