That Gameplay Worries Me... (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 19, 2017, 12:43 (2614 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Mass Effect's gameplay has gotten more boring with each iteration. In contrast to Raga's post above, I still like the first Mass Effect's combat the best. ME2 and ME3 obviously feel better in terms of controls but both are way less interesting than the first. I don't want to play Gears of War, I don't want to play Mass Effect the action game. I desperately want to play Mass Effect the RPG, but that game died after the first one.

That said, ME2 and ME3 were both fun, compelling games to play. The combat was tight and fun. Just a whole lot less interesting. Andromeda looks totally fine too. I didn't expect them to go back to the old style or make any significant changes.

Just curious, but what difficulty did you play ME2 & 3 on? The issue I ran into with both games is that on "Normal" or below, the combat feels very basic because the effects of all the shields and damage types are reduced. You don't need to think much about what you're doing because you can just blow everything away with Amy weapon or ability.

But on Hard or above, that changes completely. Enemy shields, armo, and barriers are far more powerful. Combine that with how quickly you take damage, and it forces you to be way smarter and more efficient when it comes to chaining certain abilities and using different ammo types. I found it every bit as deep as ME1.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread