That Gameplay Worries Me... (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 19, 2017, 15:12 (2622 days ago) @ Korny

I can't imagine many people agree with you here. Having twenty odd 1% increases that take 2/3rds the game to put points in before your sniper rifle stops swaying like you drunk at sea in the middle of a typhoon isn't that fun for most people. Especially when you were supposedly the best humanity had to offer and had been hand picked to be the very first of your race to be recognized galaxy wide as an elite and capable soldier.

Or, to put it another way, I don't think Mass Effect would have gotten a third and forth game if it had stuck to its very heavily RPG feel. Because that slow progression from absolutely sucking with every gun to being awesome with them makes the gameplay feel icky and murky and random and clunky until you're roughly half way through the game.

Mass Effect 1 is really had to go back and play mostly because the movement and cover system were terrible, but the RPGness of the weapon stats didn't help it any. Interestingly, I think Mass Effect 3 did a decent job bringing a little of that RPG flavor back. You could heavily tweak your powers and gun skills to master specific strategies without it being such a slog in the beginning.

Also, I'd love an isometric turn based Mass Effect strategy game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread