Dude, they're cosmetic (Gaming)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 21:50 (2611 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 21:55

That's what makes it tough. You think giving up a new Deus Ex game was easy either?

I hate 'Micro Transactions' just as much as the next guy as well and while I truly appreciate your stance, devotion, and principle; you are not accomplishing whatever you think that you are trying to besides denying yourself a gaming experience from a universe that you clearly love. Its not like the developer is saying, "There is a disturbance in The Force, the one and only Cody Miller is not currently playing our game. We need to fix this and remove 'Micro Transactions' immediately!!!!!!!!!!!". If you think you are part of some HUGE ground swell or underground movement that is participating in a total prohibition of games with 'Micro Transactions' I'd like to see the clubhouse where you all meet together and plan which games to not buy.
There is no sales metric that the developer/publisher can pull/poll for "folks who did not buy our game because we monetized it, broke our gameplay architecture, and forced 'Micro Transactions' into the main menu"

Same goes for pre-orders. I don't pre-order games based on principle (I admit, it is dumb of me), there are A LOT of folks that do not pre-order games any longer too (we don't have a clubhouse), however pre-orders and evil pre-order bonuses still exist and will continue to go on existing until something truly significant is done to change it. It is clearly not enough to just not participate and stick our heads in the sand and pretend like pre-orders do not exist. I don't think this means that it is all ok to start pre-ordering again, I think it means that something more needs to be done.

If we want to do something about these issues in the gaming world, we should actually do something about it, not just withdraw and pretend like "we are voting with our dollars". There are not enough of us purposefully "voting with our dollars" and too many that are just willing to buy it/pre-order and not even think twice about it.

(My intention is NOT to try to take up an internet argument, apply peer pressure onto you, box you into a corner, or 'school you')

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread