I am getting wrecked (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 03, 2017, 14:12 (2607 days ago) @ CyberKN

I don't know if there's some obvious thing I'm missing (gear, tactic, etc.), but every enemy seems to be super tanky now. Most fights (with the rare awesome exception) devolve into me hiding in a spot they can't reach and pelting them with ~100 arrows over the course of a couple minutes.

So the thing I've noticed about the stronger enemies in this game is that they all are a bit tanky, but with breaking points. If you just pour arrows into them at random (the way you would damage a boss in Destiny, for example), it can take quite a while to slowly whittle them down. The key, far as I can tell, is to focus on their weak spots and layer your attacks. Arrows themselves are not the best way to do major damage. Hitting weak points until they fall off (or in some cases, explode) take a big chunk of their health, and in some cases leaves them open to a crit melee attack. THAT is the real big one, IMO. Getting enemies into that "stunned" state where they are vulnerable to the crit-stab with your spear.

The larger/tougher enemies are usually vulnerable in several ways. Destroying weak spots might knock them down, but doing a large amount of fire damage to their body might knock them down as well. So I work towards both at the same time. I might start by hitting one with an ice bomb to multiply all damage, then hit them with some fire arrows to the body, then switch to my hard-tip or tear arrows and go to work on a single specific weak spot. Every 4 or 5 shots I'll switch back to fire arrows and land a couple body shots. I also like to place a shock-tripwire between me and the enemy before I begin my attacks, creating yet another opportunity to down them and land a crit-melee.

Basically, I try to look at the big enemies as a collection of smaller components, each with their own health bars. Rather than doing some damage to all of them, I focus on a couple components and hammer them. Then use my crit hits to do mega damage.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread