Some more thoughts after 20ish hours. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 03, 2017, 21:45 (2609 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was exploring a specific area, and I reached a point where I needed to activate a thing in the middle of the room. I'm looking around, and I see 3 small towers around the edge of the room. I climb one of them, and sure enough, there's a button I can press. My immediate thought is "so I need to climb these three towers and press all 3 buttons"... because that's how videogames work, right? But when I pressed the first button, I turned and saw that it had activated all 3 towers. This seems like a tiny thing on its own, but the game is filled with examples of this sensibility.

This part really stood out to me, too. It's a wonderful example of the though Guerrilla Games has put into this game. Regarding that specific instance and what follows: I was nowhere near ready to take on the Firebellow at that point. I was fully expecting to have to activate the other two towers before the shield went down--I had to quickly craft some ammunition on the ride down to set up some traps. Also surprising during that encounter was the first time the Firebellow charged and smashed right through the wall I was using as cover. There's a lot of stuff in this game that's destructible that I didn't expect to be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread