Do you have a 4K TV or plan to get one soon? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 13:10 (2608 days ago) @ unoudid

That's really the primary question for whether to get a Slim or a Pro.

Now, take this all with a grain of salt, since I don't have a Pro and have only used one a few times for a total of about forty minutes. The Pro really is just basically for 4K and HDR output. We've seen a few games that have some advantages for non-4K uses, but I've yet to see or hear of an example that really makes the extra money seem worth it. Nioh has different game modes and can focus on better framerate, for example. Rise of the Tomb Raider allows you to just bump up the graphics effects, I think. From what I've heard, even if you don't have a 4K TV, the game will still run at a higher resolution and downsample to 1080 for TV, which can result in a better, sharper image.

But the consensus (as much as there can be one--this is the internet, after all) is that if you don't have a 4K TV and don't plan on getting one, just get a Slim. I have a base PS4, and Horizon Zero Dawn is still one of (if not the) best looking games I've ever played. I saw it my buddy's house (who buys just about every new video game gadget that ever comes out) on a Pro and 4K TV, and while I can appreciate the difference, it didn't make me think my experience on a base PS4 was any worse, or the game any less gorgeous.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread