What Korny has to say WILL SHOCK YOU! (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 16:06 (2606 days ago) @ unoudid
edited by Korny, Sunday, March 05, 2017, 16:23

I'm considering picking up a PS4 for both D2 and a few other games that are only on the PS4. Does it really matter which version I buy (reg, slim, pro)? What are some pros and cons of each choice?

right now I can get a PS4 Slim w/ uncharted 4 for $255 on Amazon. I can also get the PS4 Pro for $400 with no games. I'm just wondering if the Pro is really that much of an upgrade?

If you plan to get a PS4 mainly for D2, I'd say hold off until a better deal is available for the Pro (Not too long ago there was a deal that included two games with the console). The Pro isn't really supported too much yet, so unless you plan to get a 4K tv, or you really want to have 4K screens, 1080p clips, or slightly upgraded visuals and short loading screens across most games now now now, I'd say to wait on it until there are sales.

It's worth the investment to future-proof against games for the rest of the generation, and the improvements over the regular PS4 are significant (Witcher 3 loads in about 20 seconds now, up from the 40+ seconds that it used to take, and other quality of life improvements), so I have no doubt that you'd be happier with a Pro.

I really don't recommend getting a Slim if you can avoid it, as it doesn't really improve on the original console in any way (and in fact makes a few minor sacrifices), and you can usually find the original for a much better deal. The original is definitely still a solid console (it's what Sammy is playing Horizon on, and it is still a beautiful game without a dip in framerate or quality).

If you do get one now, there are tons of great games that will tide you over (The Last of Us is pretty mandatory, and Bloodborne if you want a faster Souls game) until D2, but still, no sense in spending more than you need to. Plus, don't worry about hard drive size, as the next update this month will add external hard drive support.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread