Tallnecks fun fact... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 10, 2017, 21:14 (2575 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is the first game I've played in which I wish there were more towers to climb. Besides the obvious spin of climbing a giant giraffe robot that's walking around, I really like the entire set up surrounding them. Each Tallneck is surrounded by a unique assortment of machines prowling around. You must get to a high point of the landscape to be able to make the jump onto the Tallneck. I really like that you can find a path to sneak through the machines, or you can just cause havoc and have a huge battle, or take out a few machines stealthily, or override a few and cause a distraction, etc. Each Tallneck ends up being a unique encounter, and it's another example of this game really really just nailing every aspect of its design.

You know that huge EMP blast that the Tallnecks shoot out when you rappel off them? It's not just cosmetic, it'll damage and stun all machines within a certain radius, giving you a chance to run, or rewarding your sneakiness by giving you plenty of vulnerable targets to kill. I liked riding one and luring enemies towards it before I jumped off for lulz.

I too wish there were more Tallnecks to find and climb. My favorite was the Tallneck that's been boxed in by humans was one of my favorites. I had to carefully climb it while arrows flew by all around (getting hit knocks you off if you're climbing), then I rode off the top sniping everyone from my mobile platform, before jumping off and letting the EMP kill the last guy.

Good stuff!

Also, I like the little touch with the Cauldron that's been excavated by humans. There's a cave-in in the first big room, with a Tallneck's remains in the center (could he have been the intended boss, or did he cause the cave-in from above?). There's no indication that you need to, but if you make your way to its head, there is some purple loot up there waiting for you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread