tl;dw, it's Destiny's biggest record book EVER. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, March 11, 2017, 22:58 (2601 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Right, but how much of it is cool shit, and how much is grind or rng? Gathering exotic weapons has no place in an achievement book whenthat is literally not under your control.

The whole idea of a "record book" seems a little odd to me, at least in the way Destiny presents them. Isn't the entire game a record book? I completed VoG, I know I did--do I need to see a UI element fill in to really get something out of it?

I'm not shit talking talking it, or trying to belittle anyone who's into it. I just don't understand the drive to fill out a record book--I guess it's just not for me.

In the first SRL event, it kinda made sense because the game's UI didn't otherwise have a good way to communicate the kind of info you might want to track during that event (although I think making people buy the book was a bit of a dick move, but whatever).

But when it comes to the other record books, they rub me the wrong way because their very inclusion is Bungie doubling down on their arbitrary grind design philosophy. If Bungie wanted to provide rewards for non-grind-related activities, they already have a way to do that: quests. You get an icon on the map, go do the mission, claim your reward. The only real use for record books is tracking repetition. Do 50 strikes, win 50 PvP games, etc. (The quest system can convey this information as well, but less efficiently). I'm sure Bungie will include some
none-repetitive milestones in the new book as well, just to pad it out. But repetitive tasks are what the book is all about.

So basically it's yet another way to try and get people to spend more time with the game than the content might earn on its own.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread