Is this EZ Mode? (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 13, 2017, 16:54 (2594 days ago) @ Korny

The hilariously OP Power Armor lets me tank my way through situations I shouldn't be able to survive, which can be loads of fun.

Sounds like anti-fun to me... Sammy finally got to Meridian yesterday, and she upgraded to a Shadow Precision bow, so I was finally able to see the Tearblast arrows in action, and I was left confused as to why they exist. They essentially make most enemy fights trivial, and suck the fun out of things (an entire shell-walker convoy died where it stood, where it used to be a fun encounter).
So yeh, I won't be using that bow or Power armor, I like my games fun.

I wouldn't want to have been wearing the MJIOLNIR armor during the story progression... it does suck some of the tension out of the combat. But now that I'm in "goofing around" mode, it's good fun. It doesn't make you invincible... if you get yourself into a fierce battle, you'll still end up taking damage to your health. It just absorbs the first couple hits for you. Where I am in the game, I have so many healing potions and resources to make more that I could survive just about any battle without the armor. Wearing the armor just bypasses the need to manage my consumables as much, so I can just focus on combat.

The Tearblast arrows are a bit OP against smaller enemies, but they feel nicely balanced by the time you get into some of the bigger fights late in the game. Some of the larger enemies have so much health that arrow consumption becomes a big problem. You can take down a pair of Thunderjaws using regular arrows, but at a certain point it just becomes a grind against a bullet-sponge enemy. Tearblasts still require accuracy to be used effectively, and they'll only get you half way there against larger foes. So I don't think they're OP in those situations.

This Thunderjaw vs Thunderjaw battle was pretty epic.

Have you turned a Behemoth against another? Definitely the most visually exciting fight, and a rush to be surrounded by so many flying rocks and debris.

I did, but I forgot to film it. So cool. My favorite encounter so far was the skirmish that spawned the GIF in my initial post. I was able to sneak up on a Thunderjaw and override it. A nearby pack of Tramplers saw me, and started moving towards me. "No problem"... I thought... "I've got big T with me for backup". But then I turned around and saw the Thunderjaw had run the other way to take on a pair of Ravagers. So now it was me against 4 Tramplers, in close quarters, with no cover.

I go to work on the Tramplers, setting off their huge exploding stomachs as often as possible to do group damage, while watching my Thunderjaw fight both Ravagers about 200 yards in the background. I manage to take out 2 of them when my Thunderjaw buddy rejoins the fight (after CRUSHING both of the Ravagers). Big T blows up one of the Tramplers with his disc launcher, then shoves his head straight through the 2nd one (as seen in the GIF).

My next goal is to override a Rock Breaker. If I pull it off, I'll save a video :)

Good luck. They're immune to Ropecaster shots, and are pretty much impossible to sneak up on. If you stun them with electric shots, they go underground. I haven't been able to kill one, much less override it... Then again, you have your cheat arrows and armor. ;)

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I managed to stun one of them by doing enough crit-point damage. That might be my only shot.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread