Longchamp and royal we: LIES (Destiny)
So the guy who invented royal we in English, Longchamp, ruled England when Richard went off to Crusade, and was kicked out by John. Longchamp is credited with inventing the royal we when the king talked.
However, Longchamp famously spoke only French, so it seems weird.
Also, the royal we was found as far back as Old English, not the 12th century. Here's Beowulf: "Beowulf maþelode bearn Ecgþéowes: ‘We þæt ellenweorc estum miclum, feohtan fremedon.’"
So there we have it. Beowulf, king of the Geats did it, centuries before Longchamp.
That being said, if the guy meant we to mean him, it was probably some form of pluralis modestiae or auctoris.
- VoG beaten solo on patrol. - bluerunner, 2017-03-14, 06:42
- Wow. - Ragashingo, 2017-03-14, 06:51
- VoG beaten solo on patrol. - stabbim, 2017-03-14, 07:07
- Indeed - Beorn, 2017-03-14, 09:25
- VoG beaten solo on patrol. - Claude Errera, 2017-03-14, 07:20
- Amazing. - Kermit, 2017-03-14, 07:44
- Incredible - unoudid, 2017-03-14, 12:28
- Incredible - bluerunner, 2017-03-14, 12:56
- Should have ended with him getting kicked to Orbit... - Korny, 2017-03-14, 12:34
- Very impressive! - Oholiab, 2017-03-14, 13:48
- So full of awesome. - slycrel, 2017-03-15, 07:44