Context is important... (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 23, 2017, 19:30 (2562 days ago) @ Korny

Here's a new one:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/03/03/buy-nier-automata-trophies-with-in-game-money/

What do you think about being able to purchase trophies?

-They are only accessible for purchase after your third complete playthrough of the game (you should have most trophies by that point, no?)
-They can only be purchased by using in-game currency, and each one is very pricey.

Sounds like a neat way to spare yourself some frustration, and gives you something else to save up for, so you don't have to play the game in a way that you don't want to.
I knew that I wouldn't ever get the "grind x number of multiplayer matches" Acheevo in Halo Wars, so if I was able to cross off that achievement to "Platinum" the game by a different means, I'd have been all for it.
Aren't achievements and Trophies just another immersion-breaking checklist? Should it really matter how folks finish off their list, as long as they play the game?

I'm not particularly invested in Trophies, but the whole point of them is to mark a particular in-game accomplishment. If you can obtain them through other means, then they serve no purpose at all, no?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread