Scoring and Leaderboards (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, March 23, 2017, 19:52 (2590 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by CyberKN, Thursday, March 23, 2017, 19:57

Anyway, I was just curious to see if I'm in some weird minority on this. What are your thoughts on numerical scoring and leaderboards these days?

I think they were always a bad idea.

It's so anti immersion to make players play with the intent of making a little number go up, especially when maximizing score often has you play a game in stupid ways. You're playing the game to win a competition that's outside the game… With all that games have to offer nowadays, it's the worst way to hook your players.

If you are in a firefight in PvP, there's a kind of scoring system too isn't there? First one to 200 points wins. The loser dies. That kind of 'hidden' scoring system is far more effective.

I sort of see where you're coming from, but it's also a vast oversimplification.

Here's a new one:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/03/03/buy-nier-automata-trophies-with-in-game-money/

What do you think about being able to purchase trophies?

See my answer in my reply to Korny. Regardless of how you feel about achievements, the ability to lie about earning them totally invalidates the system.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread