Activision, Not Sony (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, March 26, 2017, 06:18 (2587 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I know that it's Sony, Activision and Bungie's doing. However, I also know that Activision/Bungie didn't propose this deal, it was Sony.

I very much doubt that you know that, or that it is true.

It is very likely that Activision *did* propose this deal, and that either Sony accepted it, or outbid MS. It's possible that MS balked at paying extra for access they used to get without a negotiation when they owned Bungie, and it's also possible that their minority stake in Bungie entitles them to get their beak wet on the deal anyway, at least insofar as anything that Sony does that increases sales of Destiny, regardless of what platform it is on, makes their shares in Bungie worth more.

I also know that Activision/Bungie still agreed to it. I also know that It's always greener on the other side and that if Microsoft was doing this it might feel differently.

But the fact of the matter is, Sony is making these sort of things happen to sway XBox owners to get a PS4 and I'm saying that it's not working at all, in fact it's making it worse.

If you think that this is meant to do something else, I'm all ears. But as a potential customer, this is what I'm getting from it, and what I see about this situation is all that should really matter to Sony. I'm a customer. I would rather be seen as a gamer, or even a consumer to them. In this case, I don't feel that way.

No, not at all. That is what exclusives are for. These deals are designed to keep Sony owners on the platform, not to bring in new customers. It's possible that people will either switch to, or add a Sony platform to get access to games like Last of Us, Nier: Automata and Bloodborne. Not to get access to cross-platform titles early. If anything, it just means that people who own both consoles will be more likely to play cross-platform titles on the platform with the extra perks, and Sony almost certainly gets something on the sale of each game and possibly each DLC sale and in-game sale, as well as driving usage of PlayStation Plus.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread