Sgt. Johnson was never a negative in my book. (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, March 28, 2017, 22:47 (2557 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Johnson and the "I'm a cowardly fool!" PoA crewmember and Cayde allow me to laugh at the game, which for me, makes for a more rounded experience of fun.

I find light-heartedness actually enhances the darker moods and drama of something. I get to breathe a sigh of relief and then am pulled back into the tension. Otherwise, tension all the time wears itself out and "dark, moody" can come across pretentious and over-bearing. One of my major complaints in games I've played recently is this exactly. I feel like the designer's hand is trying to squash me into the ground. It makes me yearn for the old UNSC's optimism despite their whole species being wiped out! :)

You see this in TV and film, too. Game of Thrones would have turned me off long ago if Tyrion wasn't there mocking the characters and events as they happen. And then, when the shit DOES hit the fan and even he is freaked, it's that much more shocking (like an event that causes him to puke afterwards - it's then that it feels like the audience really has a horse in the race.)

Also, guys! :) I'm pretty sure this is just fun! Non-canonical Fun! After re-watching all of Westworld where not one single joke is uttered, by golly I'm in need of it! :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread