I love the D1 live action trailer for that reason (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 30, 2017, 19:57 (2577 days ago) @ Leviathan

I like your thought and agree with it. It's a video game, so promote what makes the game fun. I'm always talking about how much I loved the Halo 3 promotion, but it was pretty gloomy. It made me excited for the story...not so much the game. I suppose since the Destiny story is arguably non-existent, focusing on gameplay is the smart option.

Since I couldn't understand what Zavala called the bad guy, I will forever call him Gary.

Gaul or something... but yes, Gary!

And yeah, these advertisements feel more like a reaction to what shined in Destiny - what it became- instead of setting up impossible-to-satisfy hype like most big games try to do (and at least for me, what Bungie has done in the past).

I of course still hope the beat of the campaign is significantly improved and we get a little more of what was great in the Grimoire integrated into the actual storylines, but in a way, I'd rather have an honest, light-hearted trailer like this one as opposed to say, trailers that are better than the game itself. *Cough-Cough-Halo2-Cough-Cough* ;)

I thought the "Venus baby!" live action trailer was great, because it was an honest and somewhat accurate representation of the experience of playing Destiny with my friends. Having fun flying around the solar system, silly banter, etc. This time around, Bungie seems to taking that side of the experience and bringing it straight into the in-universe narrative, which is a bold choice (a choice I personally don't like, but bold nonetheless).

In this new trailer we have Cayde (a wise-cracking guardian, but a guardian all the same) totally hamming it up in front of a bunch of other guardians whom have all just witnessed the destruction of the last human city. The city they were charged to protect. But they're all just standing around looking bored and disinterested and tired of Cayde's goofy speech, so Cayde tells them they'll get lots of sweet loot and all of a sudden they're cheering and excited.

This is clearly Bungie giving a nod and a wink to the players, but they're doing it in-universe, which is a strong departure from their usual style. I know that *I* get excited about loot, but I'd like to think my Guardian has slightly more altruistic motivations when it comes to fighting the darkness.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread