Friendly reminder: Pre-orders are a metric guaging support (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 31, 2017, 15:54 (2554 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The overall game is far better than it was at launch (PvP aside). BUT, I'm talking about pre-order ad money vs. more dev money. I'm not talking about post-launch adjustments (or microtrans money).

No. But we are talking about a game that has been iterative while being concurrent to the development of a sequel. this is something you can make assessment against.

This is a real and serious concern. It would be incumbent upon the reviewers to remain neutral and refuse bribery. Would this concern be more present than it is today if no one ever pre-ordered? Sure, there'd be more pressure to have a good review. But consumers would also have to find - just as they do today - reviewers whose sensibilities mesh with theirs and who seem to present honest reviews. Much like the movie biz, you can usually parse the real reviews from the paid ones. Also, journalistic integrity is a thing that I'd hope at least some reviewers would aspire to.

So you can have honest reviewers but not honest advertisers? You are putting the weight on the consumer to make the best decision for themselves regarding purchase of products, while also saying pre-ordering is he wrong decision. And time and again I have been shown it is neither right nor wrong. Just a different choice.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread