I consider game breaking bugs different to broken games. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 09:18 (2575 days ago) @ Funkmon

A broken game is basically unusable from the get go. A game breaking glitch makes the game unusable from that point.

Think about the iPhone 4. Was it a broken phone? No. If you held it a certain way, was it impossible to make phone calls? Yes.

Think of a flimsy stool. If you can sit on it, and use it in almost all situations, is it broken? No. If you sit on it a certain way, might it collapse? Yes.

So yeah, I believe The Division has tons of game breaking bugs. But the game isn't broken, it can just BE broken.

I see where you're coming from, but I think the multiplayer aspect of the division pretty much guarantees that someone has sat on that particular stool in the wrong way and now is screwing up your game. In a single-player only game, you can easily control for things like game-breaking exploits, but in a multiplayer scenario, you're going to encounter people who want to win even if it means cheating, and that means you can't ignore or explain away game breaking bugs like this. Because of the nature of online games and the people who play them, any similar exploit, especially in pvp situations, will be abused. That's why you need nimble archetecture when you design your backend; so you can fix these issues pronto.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread