Giant Beastcast reaction (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 01, 2017, 17:48 (2553 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I'm listening to this week's episode of the Beastcast, and I find their reactions interesting and a little telling. The 4 guys on the show this week have all played Destiny to varying degrees (some stopped with vanilla, others played everything through TTK).

The first comment from several of them was that the tone of the trailer was "strange". One of them said something along the lines of "Why is the trailer trying to be funny? I don't remember Destiny being funny". They never steered into the question of whether or not they wanted Destiny 2 to be funny.

The next issue they all latched on to was Nathon Fillion. They couldn't remember if he was even in Destiny, or if he was added later in one of the expansions. "Was he one of the guys that sells you stuff?" was as close as one of them came. One of the other hosts said "no he was one of the main guys", but thought he was only added in TTK or something.

They also mention a few tweets that had been posted by Jeff Gertsman (of Giant Bomb), who said something along the lines of "if you are trying to position yourself as the 'funny' loot-based shooter, aren't you just lining up behind Borderlands?".

I find stuff like this interesting because I like to see the difference in reactions between the "hardcore fans" (us) vs gamers at large. Again, these are all people who played the original game, but didn't stick with it as we did. We here at DBO expressed a wide range of reactions to the trailer, mostly positive. The GB guys mostly flipped between confused and dismissive in their reactions, which I think is a somewhat natural reaction for people in their positions, given how little the trailer shows of the game itself. I suspect next week's Bombcast will examine the trailer in a bit more depth, as both Jeff Gertsman and Brad Shoemaker are more familiar and invested in Destiny than any of the guys on the Beastcast. I did find the mention of Borderlands interesting. Is Bungie trying to position Destiny 2 as a game that draws on some of Borderlands' appeal?

*** Everything in quotes is a paraphrase, based on my memory. So take it all with a HUGE grain of salt :) ***

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread