Play Mass Effect Andromeda. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 16:56 (2572 days ago)

Sorry for another off-topic post, but I wanted to let this be known.

I know there was some excitement about Andromeda here on the forums in the weeks leading up to its release. Then it came out and received middling reviews and lots of attention for its goofy animations. Besides Raga, I haven't seen anyone else here talking about it, so I'm here to tell you to play it, in case the reviews and animation fiasco drove you away.

The game has undeniable issues. I haven't seen anything too awful from the animations--they're not amazing, but they're at least as good as Horizon's (to be clear, Horizon's are bad, real bad, but no one seemed to care). I haven't seen any of the real goofy shit that's showing up in gifs, so, despite what the internet would have you believe, it's not like people are crab-walking everywhere.

I'm perhaps not far enough into the game to give it a complete recommendation, but I'm about ten hours into the game, a couple of hours beyond Eos, which is the first real mission in the game that really shows you what Mass Effect Andromeda is. And that is a pretty good Mass Effect game. If you like that series, you'll like this game.

I was put off not by the animation stuff (Let's be real, Mass Effect never had great animation), but by lots of reviews (and especially the Giant Bomb coverage) knocking the story and the writing. There is definitely some writing in the game that's straight up awful, but, contrary to what I had heard, I find myself really liking the story and becoming invested in the characters. I think it's all interesting and very Mass Effect. I think it misses some opportunities and drops the ball (only two new alien species, one of which is the enemy you fight, only Taurians, Asari, and Krogan from the last trilogy show up). I'll never forget the first time I set foot on the Citadel and just got lost in the Mass Effect universe. With a new galaxy, I was hoping for that experience again, and I think Andromeda could have done a better job providing that, but overall I still think Mass Effect Andromeda is a good Mass Effect game and well worth playing.

It's better than the hot mess that was Mass Effect 3 by miles.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread