Yep (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 21:19 (2577 days ago) @ stabbim

For me, Andromeda has captured a certain not-completely-definable feeling that I haven't gotten since Mass Effect 1.

That actually makes me feel good and gives me a bit of hope. I think Eos was the thing that started to get me there, and I hope the rest of the game continues in that direction.

I'm a little torn right now about that. I think it's partly just nostalgia--the first Mass Effect was so long ago and time tends to erase the flaws. Stepping onto the Citadel felt like taking a giant plunge into a massive universe, and I don't think Andromeda has or will match that. Partly, it's nostalgia, like I said, but partly it's just that Andromeda isn't necessarily trying to. In the first Mass Effect, humanity is joining an already established larger galaxy with a bunch of history that you get to learn about. That's true of Andromeda as well, but that game is much more about being a pioneer in an unknown galaxy, versus learning the ropes of an already established coalition of species. It's . . . I don't know. It's simultaneously not exactly what I wanted and sort of disappointing, but also really enthralling. It's just a matter of tone, I think.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread