Play Mass Effect Andromeda. (Gaming)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 21:27 (2577 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Seriously? Horizon has great faces, they're just not animated well. The lip syncing is so bad it feels like I'm watching a dubbed anime. A litte hyperbolic maybe, but honestly not much.

It's hit and miss. Some of it (shivana or whatever her name is) has a combination of bad sync and truly terrible acting. Other stuff, like rost's reaction to Aloy when the braves open the gate for you, if borderline uncanny valley levels of believable. There are maybe four animations that are that natural looking in the game, but they're all wholly unexpected and truly capture the emotion of the moment.

I mean, the final animation of the game was actually emotive for me in an empathetic way. That's impressive for a video game. It's really, really well done.

Of course, other stuff is like... *WHY IS YOUR GAME SO PRETTY EXCEPT FOR WHEN PEOPLE TALK* but that's only maybe 15% of the animations in the game. Just common enough to be constantly noticeable. But not nearly all of the animations suffer (and, I find, it tends to be certain characters who suffer far more than others... I wonder if some were created earlier in the process and simply lack the proper skeletal hookups for the animation engine?). Uthid, Gera, they look totally natural. Aloy is hit and miss, but usually a big hit. The guy from the wire looks like the guy from the wire. I like the war-chief's son. But the war-chief, herself, reminds me of Men in Black when the cockroach is wearing an edgar suit. What is happening there???

Anyway, yeah, some hits, some misses.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread