Project Scorpio Hardware Reveal (Gaming)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 06, 2017, 13:47 (2574 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is impressive, but I think it was conceptually a mistake to target Native 4K and make it a system revision. The jump from SD to 1080p is huge, but the jump from 1080p to 4K is very small if not unnoticeable on TV sized screens. There's a reason 70% of film releases are finished in 2K still.

With all that power, they should be targeting better graphics and effects at 1080p while hitting 60fps, including HDR. You would get so much more bang for your buck.

I definitely agree, though HDR is part of what they are trying to do as well (they mentioned it in the posts from back when Scorpio was first announced, it's not as much a big deal now since XB1 S already supports it). I do hope that some developers choose for higher framerate with Scorpio over higher resolution (or even better offer us the option to choose). I imagine there will be some debate though since with multiplayer games having 60fps can offer an advantage over old XB1 so there will be arguments on whether it's fair or not (regardless of how logical that is given current PC gaming).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread