Destiny and Multiplicative Design (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, April 07, 2017, 11:32 (2566 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What was said next was important: "I feel like if this were Destiny, and a player did something like that to bypass a puzzle in a raid, that Bungie would patch it out almost immediately".

TL;DR

We get annoyed when they stifle us. They get annoyed when we exploit the game. Where is the balance between regulated fun and gameplay anarchy.

-----

Realizing content updates and patches weren't really a thing in the time of Halo 1 and Halo 2, im curious if the amount of exploitation of glitches in Halo 2 was a spur in their side. You could bypass entire levels by traversing geometry you shouldn't reach, sword lunging across the entire map, super jumping out of maps, etc. It felt like after Halo 2, Bungie took on the attitude of "this is how we want you to play it...and by God that is how you will play it!"

For me, part of what made Halo 2 so fun WAS exploiting those glitches (when that is what I wanted to do). Booting up Delta Halo and ghosting through the lake, climbing to the top of the mountain, it was fun. I get super annoyed in Destiny when I'm wanting to explore, climbing a rock face and getting the death timer, or worse, hitting an invisible ceiling that is easily within the gameplay area. At which point, I actually yell out "Hey Bungie...if you don't want me to go there....then don't make it easily accessible!" I can easily jump on that rock...if you don't want me there, do better designing the level so it's not reachable.

To play devils advocate, you can't prepare for everything. When you put a lot of time and effort into creating something, and you give it to others to enjoy, and they immediately figure out a way to circumvent your effort to complete the task, it's very frustrating. They want people to experience the moment in the spirit in which it was intended. If you figure out a way to turn a 10 minute boss battle into a 1 minute cheese with an exploit, what is your goal? You're robbing yourself of the experience they created for you solely for loot? If your sole goal was to get the loot, then what is the point of playing the game? You're wasting everybody's time. Excluding scenarios such as "I need this loot to play this section, let's just cheese it real quick." but then you're getting back into the topic of a broken loot economy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread