Any recommendations on screen capture? (Off-Topic)

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, April 07, 2017, 12:21 (2568 days ago)

After getting my fuzzy vid of the Templar from Twtich, i decided to look into screen capture on my laptop (ASUS i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA 960M 4 GB). My wife is in grad school and was able to buy Camtasia thru the university for $18 (MSRP $199).

I gave it a spin last night by streaming my XBOX to my Win 10 PC thru the xbox app, and doing a screen capture. It worked, buy holy moly the file sizes are huge. Our nightfall run was 20 GB. It records in a proprietary format that you can export to MP4, which is much smaller, but 1 GB/per min? geez. There is an option to record in avi instead of their format, and the file size was about 700 MB per min, still not great.

I also tried windowing the xbox app instead of going full screen, and that still didn't save much on the file size.

I've seen recommendations online to use Bandicam, but didn't see any real description on the file size.

Something else I realized is that i don't get the party chat when doing it this way.

I guess i don't plan on doing too much recording, but i would like to be able to record when going for challenges and will probably record a lot of Destiny 2.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread