slight correction (Off-Topic)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, April 10, 2017, 15:38 (2544 days ago) @ Kermit

Astros has made it so the new ones for wired headsets are single platform only. :(

Wait, really? Why? Just to fuck the consumer? That sucks.

Most of the new mixamps will work with one console and PCs and Macs. None worth with both consoles.

The A50 wireless one does. (I bought it a year ago, and I use it with both consoles.)

You must have bought the Gen 2 -- right before the Gen 3 A50s came out.

The Gen 2 has that small mixamp that works on both Xbone and PS4 regardless of which version you have.

The Gen 3s use a base station that does not work on both consoles. They just finally started selling the base-stations a la carte though, so if you really want to use the new A50s (with the DRASTICALLY improved battery life and other minor upgrades) with both consoles, you can just spend another $100 to get one more base station and have one headset working on both.

Well, that's crappy. I may be misremembering (it's been a while), but the Astros rep at the PAX booth in 2015 told me that they had to change the system to have digital audio for the comms on Xbox (PS4 always had it). The new models were about to come out at that time.

Yeah... I talked to the Astro guys at their PAX booth in 2016, and the new models still hadn't come out (but were about to within a couple months). I had the Gen 2 PS4 model that I used on both systems at the time, but the battery life sucked, and I still hated having to use a chat cable from my headset to the controller on the Xbone. He actually recommended that I return them to Best Buy and get the new Gen 3s as soon as they were available (I had told him that I had the replacement plan). I knew that would mean losing the cross-platform functionality, but since I don't touch my Xbone very often I figured it was worth it.

I recently started playing my Xbox more again though, so I just pulled the trigger on getting another base station. It kinda sucks to spend that extra $100, but I'll actually have a set I really like that will work on both systems and be truly wireless. (It really bothered me that I was paying so much for a wireless headset and Microsoft still forced me to have a wire going from my head to my lap. Apparently the Gen 3 A50s with the new base stations are actually wireless now on Xbox)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread