Movies, Movies everywhere (Off-Topic)

by Durandal, Monday, April 10, 2017, 15:53 (2566 days ago) @ Kermit

Cayde is a ripoff of Firefly's Mal, and Dr. Horrible's Captain Hammer, all played by Nathan Fillion.

Just because a guy makes a lot of jokes doesn't make him an R rated Bugs Bunny like Deadpool.

Anyway,

High concept Sci Fi, like Intersteller, Arrival, etc. all suffer because it's difficult to translate that concept into something a majority of the audience can understand. So you back fill the boring technical stuff with artificial, and slow, "character development".

The Martin was a good movie, but mostly because the technical aspects were painstakingly presented with humor or drama as a challenge to the main character. The weakest parts of that film were the other astronauts.

Interstellar threw in the whole time dilation point, and then the betrayal, for a nonsensical ending that might have well as been "a wizard did it". What should have been an opportunity to explore other worlds was distilled down to a few shots. And the whole "man hasn't been in to space, so go farm" was insultingly stupid.

I haven't seen GTS the movie yet, but I watched a bunch of the anime, and again you are trying to discuss pretty deep concepts about the mind, in 120 minutes. It's going to be tough to pull off. You could probably pick one thing, one aspect of it, and make it the focus of the movie and back fill with action or detective work and you might pull it off.

But I really think that the higher the concept, the better off you are trying to work it as a series on Netflix or something.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread