Adore this post. (Off-Topic)

by Avateur @, Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 01:08 (2536 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I would actually have to counter with the argument that yes, there are studios or even the existing studio which could have done continued Halo justice. The problem is that the high level management of the franchise decided to go in the wrong direction, and consistent mismanagement of the property has led it on a downward spiral. The more human direction of ODST and the more grounded nature of Reach both provide very strong arguements toward Halo within the Human-Covenant war era could have continued on with a high quality bar. The better expanded fiction is the stuff that deals with that era. The choice to dive into the Forerunner and change them from being the implied ancient humanity and a wholly separate species, killing the mystery and the special nature of humans in the universe. The "everything is a fan response" is not a good way to run a franchise.

Take this with a grain of salt because I know I'm in the minority here about the feeling that Reach was a relative highlight, and the general consensus appears to be "space opera good, military sci-fi bad" (as a grotesque oversimplification) as this thread underscores. But that is a bag of cats I don't necessarily want to open too wode.

While I disagree on the thought that Halo could have been done justice 343 or not as far as long-term goes, I think I agree with you on everything else. I love Reach, though the writing definitely has problems (and those got touched on by myself and plenty of others). Regardless, I love that campaign and multiplayer. H1 is also my favorite Halo game, and ODST is near flawless to me (aside from the big empty hubworld that left me wanting more, but hey). Also, I really enjoyed Rogue One. I also really enjoyed Episode VII (and gave it a pass for being a IV clone because I'm hoping that it's going to be used for a new and wonderful direction with VIII). Really hoping it's not an Episode V clone.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread