I am shockingly out of touch (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, April 23, 2017, 14:10 (2558 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That still means that three quarters of the money spent on games is for bits delivered over the internet. In fact rereading my post, I got it right. How did I mislead?

I didn't mean to imply that you were misleading, but that the statistic itself is at least a little misleading. It doesn't tell us anything about digital game sales versus physical game sales. It's merely a report on total revenue generated from video games, including all DLC and in-app purchases. That 26% figure doesn't seem outrageous to me when you think about all the money that Clash of Clans on stupid phone games bring in, Overwatch loot boxes, all DLC for every game, etc.

That's actually what the news is. It's not that 26% is a crazy figure, it's that before that (last year it was 44%) they just straight up didn't take into account a lot of DLC and in-app purchases. The market hasn't changed that drastically from last year, they're just now reporting more accurate figures.

EDIT: Actually, your first post is a little misleading. You make no mention of what's actually going (more accurate tracking of DLC and in-app purchases), and instead say that they more accurately track digital sales of video games. While that is probably also true, that's a small part of the overall picture here.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread