Are video games better without stories? (Gaming)

by Harmanimus @, Friday, April 28, 2017, 20:02 (2548 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think your comment regarding Far Cry 4 is actually missing a lot of what occurs and the presented context. In the core game you are given two dark gray morality tracks you can explore along side your mass murder and violent rebellion. In the context of the Crab Rangoon ending, you are technically present with a third dark gray morality choice, as while you achieve your original purpose, it is immediately followed by a helicopter ride to go commit mass murder and violence against rebelliong.

I think it is disingenuous to claim that most of he games deconstructing player agency within the narrative are attempting to insult the players or that they are somehow bad stories to tell. Bioshock, specifically, deconstructs many things beyond just player acceptance of violence in narrative. Jack is sympathetic in regard to the actions he takes and it is central to the discourse of the individual v. group that is core to the games plot. I think suggesting it is a case of mocking the player for being complicit totally skips over almost all the games value.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread