What Remains of Edith Finch (Gone Home, etc.) (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 21:54 (2542 days ago) @ Korny

It was great. It played like a horror story, in a way. I dreaded the conclusion, and more so as it grew nearer (that closed-off attic always loomed). One of the things that I loved about Gone Home is how much story was told through extrapolation or inference, and how the history of the house's former occupant tied into the current story being told. It's a pretty tragic story, and the ending continues that tragedy with the lack of closure. It was pretty great storytelling throughout.

Completely agree. I really enjoyed it. I legitimately laughed at the postcard, and I teared up a few times throughout. I really was invested in the story in way that doesn't happen very often.

The story is both small in scope (the interactions and relationships between the people of a small town) and bold (the greater mystery of what happened to the people, and why).
It definitely stuck with me for a while...

I'll try to get back to it at some point. I played for maybe two hours. I saw Jeremy's story through to its conclusion, and got part of the way through Wendy's. I like the stories themselves, I just don't like having to stand around and watch the conversations play out.

I was curious about this game, but I think I've had my fill of walking simulators for a while. If it's ever a PS+ game, or at least 50%+ off I'll definitely give it a playthrough.

I can understand that. For what it's worth, I think it's great. I think I like the story Gone Home tells a bit more, but Edith Finch does some really neat things with the gameplay. It's up there with the best of them, but then again, I like most of the "walking simulator" games I've played. That's really my speed for gaming lately--I've reached a point where I just like having cool experiences and care less about challenging, "good" gameplay. Two hour walking simulators really hit that sweet spot for me--they make good breaks from playing things like The Witcher and Dishonored (I'm still debating picking up Prey. I'm trying to wait for a bit, but it looks real good, so I'm not sure how long I'll actually hold out).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread