Des2ny Reveal Anticipation Thread (Destiny)

by yakaman, Monday, May 15, 2017, 16:09 (2509 days ago) @ ManKitten

So I'm pretty excited about the reveal on Thursday and I'm curious to hear what everyone else is looking/hoping for.

Eye Candy.
Since it is being developed for only current gen consoles, I'm hoping for a visual graphic update. I don't know how games are built, if they are built at max res and knocked down for weaker consoles, or built for the weak and boosted up, or a mixture in between. There are some beautiful games out right now (Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon Zero Dawn) and it would be awesome to see the Destiny universe like this. Understanding, Bungie artistic style has always been on the more illustration side of realism but like every console, developers learn how to squeeze every bit out of them for max potential. The leap from Halo 1 to Halo 2 was huge! Halo 3 to Reach was pretty big too.

I'm looking forward to a graphics boost, especially if you consider that D1 came out in...2014? Is that right? I don't need a graphics boost, and I'm not a graphics snob, but it seems a natural leap based on 1) next gen consoles only, 2) three years of progress, 3) no building world from scratch gives more resources to eye candy and optimization.

Customization options.
This has always been my biggest superficial gripe about Destiny. Their definition of "customization" was pretty weak. Abilities and stats attached to armor essentially ruins the concept of customization. My arguments against shaders have been well documented. A simple solution would be an ability boon that you could attach to your armor. Each piece of armor or weapon could have 5 or so slots and you can decide what to put in. There could even be different levels of boons dependent on how they are earned (Rare, Legendary, Exotic)

This. Very much this. If they've been able to fix their referencing/dependency/modularity issues I'd love to see rapid development and deployment of very cosmetic things. Again, we're not talking about meaningful, gameplay-affecting things...just pretty baubles and similar.

(off the deep end here)
I know this is a "heh...yeah keep dreaming" wish, but, I've always wanted a game where you can design your own armor. Bungie developed the Forge in Halo, so they have (had) the capability to give us a custom geometry engine. Forza gives us a livery editor. Surely, there is an in-between. Since D2 will be on PC, there will eventually be a mod/user community that starts creating content. There are already multiple 3D design programs that can be used in a browser. Perhaps an app/program where we can design armor and import them into the game.

Upgraded factions.
Make the factions worth something. Outside of weapon/armor gifts.

Yes. I'd prefer factions to go deeper, and maybe close off other options/powers/equipment/builds. Would that mean a character committed to Dead Orbit would have no path backwards? Maybe. Good and bad possibilities here, but for me D2 would benefit from a clearer, more defined character identity. For others maybe this is a bad thing?

Exaggerated class abilities.
The three classes aren't that different when you think about it. Titans, for example, for being strong tanks, are pretty damn nimble. I'm a hunter with max agility, and I'm often being out run by titans gliding and shoulder charging all over. Make Titans higher defenses but slower agility. Make hunters weaker defense but faster agility. Make warlocks a middle ground with faster super charge.

Maybe. I think in D1 people loved the (relative) ease with which they could switch characters. I think it D1 made it easy to switch between a titan and warlock, but then did a fairly good job of allowing room to grow and get really good at titan or warlock or whatever. I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, I loved the deep differences between classes in Transformers: FOC, but on the other the best thing about Destiny is the mobility. This is my personal opinion, but I'd be drastically less likely to try a class that couldn't really move well. I guess it depends on exactly how they might do it?

Other things I'm looking for:

1.) New enemies
2.) Ship combat?
3.) Improved combat vehicles, OR a move completely away from ground-based combat vehicles
4.) A more challenging class of Public Events (i.e. uber-Publics)

Good thread. Super excited.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread