Destiny 2 gameplay reveal - notes and speculation (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, May 20, 2017, 01:06 (2531 days ago) @ Kahzgul

So that gameplay reveal was pretty great. I'm really impressed with the cinematics, packing WAY more characterization and drama into this preview of the game than has been in the pre-TTK destiny releases combined. I went in with a grain of salt, and I'm coming out quite impressed.

Some notable things that were largely missing from Destiny 1, but are clearly present in Destiny 2:

- You get to fight alongside the NPCs. HOW WAS THIS NEVER A THING???

It was. In Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Halo: Reach.

Where it really caused a problem was Reach, because as in Destiny, presumably NPCs in Reach would be other Spartans and be just as combat-effective as you are.

If the AI failed to live up to that, it would ruin your impression of Spartans. If it *did* live up to that, levels would play themselves.

I think other than the idea that there's never enough time to do everything you want, it's possible that Bungie shied away from putting Guardians you'd expect to be great in combat into missions with the player is to avoid making the player feel less important.

I don't think they should be worried about that, but they might be. After all, they keep trying to pretend like your Guardian is somebody special ("that Guardian you won't shut up about") when they are lots and lots of us.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread