HITMAN (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, May 21, 2017, 17:21 (2503 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Hitman 2016 was the first game I'd played that did episodic content right. In fact, it do it so well, that I'd say people who buy the game now with all the content out are getting the inferior experience.

You started out with a $15 package that included two tutorial maps, and one "real" map. Every consecutive month, Io Interactive released a new "real" map for $10.

The benefit of this model meant that, if you wanted to get the most of each episodic release, you played the same map repeatedly, learning all of it's secrets and discovering all the hidden opportunities that were buried within. And each map also came along with a fresh set of developer-designed challenges and associated equipment unlocks.

Now, this obviously could have failed horribly if the maps didn't have the depth and scope that they did, but Io really put in the effort to make each space unique and interesting. They also gradually ramped up the difficulty with each release, allowing us to utilize the skills we'd acquired and perfected through playing the previous map.

That's all a really long-winded way of saying I would love to see this model applied to Destiny. A frequent injection of new content would be a wonderful replacement for the grinding slog that is trying to get a perfect roll on some legendary handcannon (because what else are we supposed to do?)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread