Vehicles? (Destiny)

by Durandal, Monday, May 22, 2017, 12:50 (2503 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The presence of vehicles really requires specific level design. Look at all the vehicle heavy Halo levels and you will note that the vehicle sections are a pain to traverse on foot.

Likewise, the MP levels had to work hard to integrate vehicle and infantry space. it's a tough balance and I even see issues with it in Titanfall.

Destiny 1's current patrol spaces are too small for good warthog action. Most of them are too narrow to support even a warthog style design. It's only with RoI that we even started getting larger spaces with more open fields of view, and even that has two large transition levels.

I had really hoped that drop ships would have flown in and you could see Guardians getting off in the patrol spaces, and that you could summon and ride a hover warthog in D1. I think both of those ideas were sacrificed to the hardware limitations on the 360/PS3 much like driving around the whole halo ring on Halo CE.

In D2, I'm hoping we get more human vehicles, and larger, vehicle on vehicle maps. The promise of Lost Light and Bastion needs to be fulfilled. I really missed Halo's robust vehicle systems, with boarding and specific location damage. It's a pity no Halo games after Reach exist, NONE AT ALL. It's almost good in a way, like how Ridley Scott stopped after Aliens.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread