Grimoir is dead, long live the grimoir (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 22, 2017, 14:01 (2528 days ago) @ electricpirate

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/05/21/bungie-is-ditching-grimoire-cards-in-destiny-2/#5ca9741e3d52

Overall I think this is a good thing. Not just killing the separate grimoir concept, but also moving those narrative nuggets out of dense blocks of text.

Otoh, some on the most compelling stories in the destiny lite come from here, sand I'm not sure if there's another outlet for stuff like the book of sorrows without it.

To your second point, dense blocks of text are underrated and evocative in ways other methods of storytelling are not. I hope Bungie doesn't make 343's mistake.

I said before that the problem isn't the Grimoire and it's not even that big of a problem that it isn't in the game, except that it is such a contrast to what is in the game, especially vanilla Destiny. I want a great story as much as anyone, along with great, compelling cutscenes that give us a reason to care about the action, but please don't scrimp on the flavor text and the excellent written stories that were so amazing in Destiny 1, and prompted us to wonder at mysteries and imagine what we couldn't see.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread