HITMAN (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:24 (2523 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It is really hard for people to break things down and force themselves to take breaks from things they enjoy. I decided when my friends wanted to watch Stranger Things "as a family" that my condition was we watched it like it was an old TV show. With a Wednesday evening time slot. We watched one episode a week, had to skip a week, so we watched two episodes, like we recorded the prior weeks episode. It was hard to avoid spoilers, I admit. But it was a much more enjoyable experience than anything I have ever binge watched (with the caveat that you can't actually binge watch anything by Bryan Fuller) and part of that was the inter-episode tension and build up.

Compartmentalized pieces of of entertainment actually do a lot of positive things for the expeience. In the same way that opening up maps and new areas of progress create renewed vigor in Metroid-style games. Or, for me, new runs are exciting in Rogue-likes. I think what Destiny could learn from episodic releases is keeping the open world more alive. Such as dropping in new areas to explore periodically. Little dungeon places. Opening up a building that was previously closed. Not rewriting the face of a gameplay space, but massaging in more small experiences that draw people back into it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread