"50%" (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:53 (2529 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Going back a few steps, I am lost as to why this idea of Cody's is a Good Thing. Assume there is an MP only game, no matchmaking. People go on craigslist and find a random player to play with. They don't know the person, they don't have any personal connection. How is this "better" than matchmaking? It takes longer, it's a lot more work (which is not even in the game and NOT FUN), and there is no guarantee the quality of the match would be any better.

Or you play with friends that you actually know. Or you meet people and then play.

You think I go on craigslist when I want to play D&D?

I think there are tons of people who go to LFG when they want to raid. What's your point, really?

As I mentioned in my reply to Marmot, LFG takes a greater level of time and commitment than in-game matchmaking, so players are less likely to treat their LFG groups as disposable. It's not as good as playing with friends, but it does filter out the most non-committal players. And for activities like raids, having non-committal players in the player base poisons it for everyone else.

(I think) This is precisely right. In requiring even a modicum of effort to find other players to raid with, the LFG playerbase is filtered to those players who are actually committed to completing the activity.

Hopefully Bungie recognizes this, and Guided Games (or whatever the name is) requires a similar amount of effort, but without the inconvenience of having to sign up and utilize third party websites. It's a difficult balance to achieve, and I look forward to seeing the results.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread