Too much? (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 22:59 (2521 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Everybody says that Des2ny plays and feels like Destiny. A look at the subclasses confirms that a large number of abilities are in fact the exact same as in Destiny.

I am concerned Bungie is not changing enough.

I think just as many are going to be concerned that too much is changing.

Weapons have been completely rearranged. All "primaries" are now kinetic, which means that for all activities with a burn, or with a match game modifier, at least one of your guns will be at a disadvantage. It won't actually be that "elemental primaries" don't exist anymore, because there will be weapons of those type that do elemental damage. But what that phrase really meant in D1 was "a third weapon doing elemental damage" and that appears to be gone.

Snipers and rocket launchers are now both in the heavy (power) slot, meaning you can't run both. Ditto for shotguns and fusions, swords and now grenade launchers. Again, I see what they are doing here, but I can't help but think that people are naturally going to feel like they are severely underpowered in D2 compared to D1 given that you can only have one weapon from that pool equipped instead of two, and the "extra" weapon you get in its place does kinetic damage only.

You can now play with two ARs, pistols, or scout rifles-- as if anyone ever asked for that.

The cardinal six character attributes, which used to be split between things on armor (int, dis, str) and things in subclass config (armor, recovery, agility) are now changed. The first three appear to just be gone, and the latter three moved from subclass to armor.

Subclass perks are now grouped into blocks of four that can't be changed. I think I see what Bungie is doing here-- they want to force tradeoffs and prevent the community from selecting one set of perks per subclass as being "the best" and having people just leave them there.

Every class now gets an extra ability sort of like shadestep.

ALL crucible activities 4x4.

There may not be any one single massive fundamental change, but so many little things are being tweaked, I think they're going to add up.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread