30fps vs 60fps, GPU vs CPU (Gaming)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 17:59 (2500 days ago) @ dogcow

can the physics for those be run on the gpu now?

Yes, but most physics would be inefficient to run on the GPU and possibly inaccurate too. Thing about GPUs is that it can do the same mathematical operation in dozens of hundreds of inputs at the same time, but if you need each input to operate differently or need the result of one operation be the input of the next, the GPU will take a full cycle to get to that. Same with the CPU, but at least it isn't built with thousands of parallel cells, so you're not wasting processing power that could be better spent elsewhere.

Right, highly parallel manipulation of large arrays of data. What I was specifically wondering about was the integration of physics processing units with GPUs (like PhysX). My understanding of that integration is that it can handle the physics for particle systems (but not necessarily game simulation physics). Do console GPUs have that integrated now? Honestly I haven't followed GPU developments & what capabilities consoles have lately.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding not much has been done using PPUs and GPUs together since DX10. From what I've heard most companies have just switched to using CPU as it's cheaper and easier (and compatible with a wider range of systems) and with advancements in CPU technology they can use the cores your computer isn't using anyway to process things better run on faster single cores.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread