this is really good news (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 26, 2017, 16:33 (2498 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Ok... I think I see what happened. Your initial comment has some funny word choices:

In fact, my guess would be that the thing most obviously noticeable here will be faster load times, since none of the systems will be busy serving up host or physics data.

This sounds to me like you were talking about CPU overhead and the system (aka CPU, RAM, etc) being busy and that the load times in D2 would be reduced because my console would never be the physics host and wouldn't have to spend time deciding what the actualshared word state was. I think Uberfoop saw it that way too because he mentioned how each console would still need to run its on local simulation. And it didn't help when you mentioned that "Bungie straight up said..." instead of clarifying what you meant. Not that you did it intentionally, it was just two people talking about different things.

I totally agree that having the physics host on nice happy servers with presumably far more stable connections should reduce a fair number of hiccups and waits. Like when we join the Tower as a fireteam and get stuck on a blackscreen until the host is done loading. That's usually caused by everyone waiting until the hosts makes sure we're in sync and can be disrupted by a slow or spotty host connection. Having the physics host in the cloud should indeed also help with some forms of pvp lag and inconsistencies as well.

That said, there are many times where we don't all load in at once. Joining a fireteam already in the Tower or moving from one populated patrol zone to another or joining a Crucible match in progress, for instance. My point was that if everyone has stable connections, the overhead of being the physics host was minimal and didn't really cause faster or slower loading times.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread