To the software engineers here (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, June 26, 2017, 16:25 (2499 days ago) @ BeardFade

Anyone else read this and think, "They favored composition over inheritance this time around, giving them more flexibility to generate new weapons and sub-archetypes."

I've been studying a lot of CS lately and that's the first thing that came to my mind. Kudos to them for making a more flexible set of weapons. Should make sandbox updates considerably better in D2.

Yeah, the concept certainly fits, but as BlackT1ger mentioned, in actuality it's probably an Entity Component System.

PS: If anyone is interested in what Composition vs. Inheritance is, this is a moderately entertaining link that involves "murder robot dogs." Dark, but makes a good case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfMtDGfHWpA

Heh. That was a fun instructional video contrasting some of the advantages of Composition over Inheritance. I disagree with him that there is never a good reason to use inheritance, sometimes it's the right tool, but composition is usually a better way to go.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread