Here we go...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 26, 2013, 19:52 (3913 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, August 26, 2013, 20:15

That's not going to happen for the simple reason that Bungie simply does not have good writers that actually understand and can tell stories with significant human experience or emotion. Sounds harsh but it's true.

On the whole I'd actually agree. Well, you know, without your absolutism layered on top. Halo had a "good enough" story combined with excellent gameplay. That's why it was compelling and went on to become the series it is. It never did rise up to a "damn that story was good" level though. If anything what the old Halo's had going for them was their lack of story telling, allowing us to fill in the blanks with speculation. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy the heck out of Assault on the Control Room, but it's not because of the storytelling that I still play it a decade later. If Halo shined anywhere story wise, it was that talented writers could use its framework to tell truly compelling stories. Halsey's Journal is at the "damn that was good" level for instance.

Looking at my game library I wouldn't put any of the Halo's anywhere near Alan Wake or Bioshock Infinite or Mass Effect 3. Not that I didn't enjoy the Prophet of Truth's conniving and the Arbiter's turn in Halo 2, or the back and forth between Halo 3's Didact and Librarian in the terminals, or the good individualized portrayals of the Noble Team spartans in Reach, but all those were more side pieces to the main stories.

And finally, do note that Bungie is now saying that Destiny will be better because it will have a story that has been planned in advance instead of being made up as needed on a game by game basis as Halo's supposedly was. We'll see I guess. I hope Destiny does indeed take the story to the next level.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread