DBO, You're My Only Hope. AKA: Talk to me about chairs... (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, September 14, 2017, 13:37 (2424 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If you've got a Baller Budget, get an Eames Lounger and ottoman.
[image]

But seriously,

(TL;DR - Go shopping, find something nice, you're worth it.)

I got tired of cheap chairs constantly breaking. I was probably buying a $150 office chair every year. So finally, I "splurged" and bought a $250 leather Serta office chair. 3 years in and it's still like brand new.

Cheap furniture sucks. Go to a furniture store (not walmart or target) and look around. Just like a car dealership, you can haggle them down and they are always running stupid gimmicky promotions.

Find a nice recliner that fits you. And if it's "leather" make sure it actually IS leather, not bonded/blended leather. It's cheaper but will tear down and look haggard quickly.

Consider the base. If it's a swiveling recliner, sometimes they are a metal frame with 4 legs, sometimes they are a wood circle. Over time, that wood base warps and could snap from reclining the seat and most of your weight is over the back side, instead of centered over the base. Avoid the wood.

Consider the reclining "lever." There is nothing wrong with the ol' slot machine arm. It's solid. Sometimes they have the plastic pull tab on the side. It will break. Sometimes they have the pull cord on the inside. It will break.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread