"Destiny" (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 15:19 (2426 days ago)

"Guardians make their own fate."

I get the sense that this line will sadly be proven false as the series moves forward.

What is destiny? Most of the ancient stories dealing with fate and destiny had the main characters struggling against their fate. Defying the Gods. It was a lesson on mortality and morality, and punishment for sins. All to often now destiny is used in the opposite way - to imbue the hero's rise as inevitable and pre-ordianed. Is it really an act of heroism if you were chosen and couldn't do any other way? (This is why the Oracle telling Neo he ISN'T the one works so well).

See where I'm going with this? With the whole notion of the traveler's light being a gift, bestowed upon a guardian whom it chooses, doesn't that fit the bill for how destiny is used in contemporary arts? Does it leave room for choice and action otherwise?

If it turns out our Guardian is 'special' or 'chosen' to overcome the darkness or some shit, that's going to be the biggest letdown. Heroic prophesies and destiny are kind of bullshit in narratives.

Why else is this game called Destiny? Will it be a tale of caution and introspection alongside the classics? Or will it be another bullshit "chosen one" story?

I hope Jason Jones' love of greek literature will come through here.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread